Sunday, December 23, 2007

Brotherhood


Yesterday my family was celebrating our family Eid celebration. Eid is a Muslim celebration of sacrifice. Eid had already passed on the weekday but my family was meh lets par-ty on the weekend.

On the day at one point it was time to offer our midday prayers. In Islam we have a person who is well knowledgeable to lead the prayers and everyone follows. We line up in a straight line, toe to toe, heel to heel. Sadly, the line we made wasn’t straight nor was it tight.

It really disappointed me to see this happen. There is so much stupid Islamophobia out there that already points a finger on Islam. These misconceptions tick me off especially when I hear stupid racial comments which have no base and are false.

When I go to the Masjid (Mosque) many Shiekhs and Imams (kinda like Priests for Christianity) preech the idea of brotherhood. The idea as a community we need to stand up and have a common identity. To have one common goal and to work together not hate each other which is typically seen. Like in Iraq Sunni’s and Shia’s

If my family cannot make a damn decent line how the hell are we supposed to stand up together. This really saddened me. At school when I go pray, brotherhood is strong. Many of the Muslims make sure they stand in a straight line and work together amongst one another regardless of who they are. This is Islam, not judging whoever they are based on nationality or color.

The future is still has hope. The ray of light is slowly being lit.

No comments: