Thursday, March 20, 2008

Zanshin...

In Kendo there is something called Zanshin. Zanshin is a state of mind. Your mind in Zanshin is empty and with that "you are letting go". Kinda hard to explain the concept. Kendo practitioners use Zanshin when they strike and follow through, with Zanshin your attack gets stronger and you are able to concentrate without any effort.

I tried to do this recently with my regular prayers. It is a bit rough, since finding Zanshin in prayer is totally different then Kendo. However, I have been able to implement aspects of Zanshin in my prayer.

What I have been doing is pretty much taking breaks at different points. During these breaks I stop all of my movement and thoughts for a brief second then continue. When I am doing this I usually feel a pressure to quickly move forward and rush through. This is the pinnacle of Zanshin since I stop myself from doing that and try to maintain my composure and with patience continue my prayer.

Very hard aspect to grasp, but doing so will allow me to practice my faith and spirit.

No comments: